Saturday, October 15, 2011

.38 Special

Last night, I was channeling Bonnie (of Bonnie and Clyde) and was playing a badass. (Well, as badass as I could be anyways.) For a birthday present, I took a friend to a target shooting range in Poco and did some target shooting.

Wow, that was a cool experience! It was my first time and it definitely was a different Friday night. Driving into their parking lot, you already hear the muffled but very distinct pop pop pop. They buzzed us in to get in the place. We picked our guns - I wanted an old fashioned, from the old movies type, a .38 special, while my friend chose something with more oomph - a 45 ACP.

It was quite intimidating to be holding a loaded weapon, but someone stays with you to show you the what, when and how. So, we put on our goggles and ear muffs and off we went. He showed me how to hold it when loading, how to put the bullets in, how to position my hands so that I don't hurt myself.

So, there I was, getting a bit sweaty, my goggles fogging up and all, and pop, I fire. I missed the target -- too low. I try again, and again, and again (50 rounds) and by the time I finished, I was actually a lot better. Yay me!

I don't think this will be my "to do" thing regularly, but I think it's a good thing to know how to handle a weapon. It is a bit pricey, but they do have specials pricing on certain nights (like ladies night, last night, which is free drop in fee for ladies).